Monday, December 13, 2010

Taking Control of my House at the Expense of my Mouth?

I am on top of the world.

I've really been putting my best step forward when it comes to taking care of my house. My kids are playing nicer, we're all eating better, and overall, there is calm feeling of contentment in my home.

I have one problem. I think I have become a little too self assured and overly confident. I feel sometimes like I can do no wrong. Well, I was wrong today.


I have a friend with a very pessimistic attitude on life. And while we are completely different in that respect, I don't really blame her. She's had some tough things in life thrust upon her and I know its not easy. And under the circumstances, she's really doing great.

So why did I yell at her?

As of late, I feel like a superpower, and think that everything I touch will be golden i.e. my home, the food coming from my kitchen, and my words. I didn't even think before I said them. I criticized her for not being like me - for taking life too seriously. When in fact, the things she is going through are very serious, and I made her feel insignificant.

Well, isn't that just great.

But like all things, I need to take babysteps and fix this problem before it gets out of hand. Probably all of us at one point or another are guilty of verbal clutter. Mine just happened to rear its ugly head today.

Putting away clutter doesn't solve anything. Clutter will always be just that -- Clutter. And if we declutter, we can open our minds and hearts to some wonderful people.

1 comment: