Tuesday, December 21, 2010

How do you Solve a Problem Called a Landlord?

Yesterday, I was all set to tell you that even though we were being forced to move in three weeks, we were going to make the most of it. But life doesn't always go according to your plans -- even when you're improvising.

I started my day by making up my mind to continue decluttering and to start looking for available homes to move into. I had taken a little break in my morning to eat a yogurt when I heard an angry voice outside on his cellphone. I knew that voice... I had nightmares about that voice... It was the voice of my landlord.

I quickly bolted my door, turned off my lights and put my cell phone on silent. When he got to our front door, instead of knocking like a normal person, he began POUNDING on the door. My heart jumped out of my body and ran for the hills. I was terrified. And I was home alone. My hubby was stuck at work an hour away and I needed help quickly! So I pulled out my cell phone and began texting my friends and neighbors frantically -- "Please send your husbands! My landlord is here and I'm scared!" They came in droves....

Unfortunately, this wasn't enough to stop him from terrorizing me. He turned off my power. He tried to open the door using his key (didn't work because I had the door bolted). So I sat on my floor curled up in a ball and he proceeded to go around to the side door and tried to break through the glass. I was crying. I was terrified for my life. Especially since yesterday he made a serious threat to my hubby.

Everyone kept telling me to call the police and eventually, when I stopped crying long enough to really listen, I did. The police showed up, and I think they sufficiently scared him into leaving us alone. Unfortunately for us, our landlord owns the house next door to us and had decided to spend the night there. I have no idea how I ever got to sleep!

But now we are left with two options -- apparently, the idiot landlord wants us still to sign a contract (AS IF!!!), and our other option would be to leave ASAP with the option that we'll get our pants sued off...

After speaking to multiple lawyers, we've chosen to get as far away from him as possible and if he decides to sue, we're confident he won't win.

Needless to say, I didn't get very much done yesterday - not in the decluttering department nor in the packing department. But I'm grateful for all my friends, neighbors and family who helped us get through the day... Whether it was emotional support, or taking my kids so they didn't have to be here when all this was going down... I never would have made it through the day without them.

I hope and pray with every fiber of my being that this nonsense ends quickly and I can get back to what this blog is really all about -- cleaning and organizing my house. And even though I don't know where I'm going to live or how I'm going to pack up everything I've got, I'm gonna make it. Because my family and I are worth it. 

2 comments:

  1. You sure are worth it - all of you! A

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW....that is really crazy. What made him so angry to begin with? Stuff like this doesn't happen over night...he is obviously very angry about something. I am not saying that he is right at all, and I'm glad you called the police so you can have a record of his behavior. What kind of contract does he want you to sign? Is it a lease? I wish you the best and good luck to you and your family! You are worth it and your children are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete