Sunday, December 12, 2010

Flying for the First Time

I was introduced to Flylady about 5 months ago. My house was in really bad shape. Not a room in my house had a piece of visible floor. We would just walk around the house stepping on clothes, toys, CD's etc... You name it, we stepped on it and broke it. It was a disaster.


So my mom told me about Flylady. I was hesitant to say the very least. I mean this was the same woman who told me to clean up my room as a kid and as an act of rebellion, I stuffed everything under my beds. Way to go me!

So who was I kidding? There was no way I would ever listen to my mom and do something because she thought it would be a good idea. But somehow, I checked it out anyway. And with all things that I had tried in the past, I was good for a few days and then something happened to distract me and I quit.

A few months past and my problems only got worse. I did my best to ignore them, but somehow things always have a way of coming back to haunt you.

We had an out of town visitor. He was staying with us for two weeks. We opened our home, and tried to make the accommodations as welcoming as possible. But apparently, we didn't do a good enough job. At the end of his visit, our guest said to us, "Your house is such a mess that its not even fit for family to come and stay with you. Its embarrassing."

Lovely.

I was really mad. My husband was really mad. But when all was said and done, it actually motivated me.

Less than a week later, I found myself back on Flylady's website and on their Facebook page. I realized that in order to make my mission successful, I needed a "buddy". I needed someone that I would hold me accountable for my actions. I posted a quick note on Facebook, and almost immediately had a response.

Here I am, six weeks later, and for the first time, I feel like I'm flying. I had a bunch of company yesterday. And two separate individuals both commented to me on how much better my house is looking. Well that did it! After they left, I mopped the floor, washed the dishes, put in a load of laundry and got excited for a new week.

I'm finally flying. And I can't wait to soar.

9 comments:

  1. WooHoo - you are doing great! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we need a kick in the pants to get us started. It can be embarrassing, but it can give us the motivation we need. Great start! I'm following on Google Friend connect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoohooo! Love the blog and am now following you! Check out my blog at http://www.wahmto5.com. I keep my before and after pics there for my Fly Babysteps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you! I am sure this will be a great flight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're terrific! Have a great and long flight! cg

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you that you got the hang of it!! I'm still teetering on the edge of despairing or fluttering along! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very happy for you. This is so motivating for me to read as well. I wouldn't say my house is quite as you described, but I definitely feel like I'm 10 steps behind at all times!

    I have to say, though, that no matter how motivating your guest's comment was, it was downright rude! I can.not.believe someone staying as your GUEST would say that to you. Sheesh! :(

    ReplyDelete