Saturday, December 18, 2010

My House is Phat... I Mean Fat!

When I was in high school, I remember I was in the ladies room chatting with a friend. She was looking at herself in the full length mirror and said to me, "Why do people wear black to make themselves look thinner -- it doesn't ACTUALLY make you thinner. "

I've thought about that a lot over the years. I'm significantly overweight. And yet, why are women so afraid to divulge how much they weigh -- it doesn't actually change your appearance. And its true that some clothes may look better on us, but it doesn't matter what we wear, it doesn't change how fat or thin we are. And its not just me -- its everyone. Everyone out there thinks they are too something. Some people want to lose 200 pounds. Some want to lose 20. And some want to gain weight (or at least in certain parts of their body...) But almost nobody is perfectly happy with the way they look.

Our houses are the same, and I came to this conclusion recently. My house (though lately I've been putting it under some major transformations) is a mess. It also, is tiny. And I would love more than ever for both those things to change. I'm not the only one -- everyone has the spot in their house that they'd like cleaner, or more organized! But with that said, somehow, whenever company is coming, We're all rushing around the house to tidy up a bit. We all do this! So why do we even bother? My company knows that before they came my house was messier. And just like I can't change the size of my house, I can't really make the mess disappear -- I just rearrange it a bit.

Well, just like me, my house needs a diet. But instead of limiting calories, its time to limit clutter.

1 comment:

  1. Mine too. We moved from a huge house into a tiny house and I have been trying to get things organised for months! What used to look good all spread out in my old home just looks like mounds of clutter in this much smaller one. I've been getting rid of things left and right, but still don't seem to have made a dent. But, I will continue with the decluttering.
    You are doing wonderful with your blog! So glad to see how positive you are :)

    ReplyDelete