Sunday, March 13, 2011

As the World Turns...

I hate reading or watching the news. For the most part I just find it disturbing and really insignificant in my life. I hate politics, I hate violence, and I find that I could go on and live my life without following what's happening in the world. My husband on the other hand, is a news junkie. He loves watching, reading and listening to news. He is up to date on the politics and policies of everyone all over the world. This works to my advantage. We have a great arrangement. If there is something that I really need to know about, he tells me.



But in a world where our lives are centered around social media, its hard to escape some of the terrible things that have been going on in the world around us: namely, earthquakes, tsunamis, brutal murders and terrible accidents. Some news, no matter how awful it is, just can't be ignored.

Its so hard to do anything when you hear of such atrocities. Who can work, sleep, think or just simply function?

I'm sitting alone in my house. Things all around me need to be done. Laundry, cooking, cleaning, organizing, and more laundry. Yet all I can do is scan articles, talk to friends and be just completely overcome with a sense of yuckiness.

Too many lives have been lost. And I'm sad.

I'ts wonderful to have a routine -- to be able to get up every morning and know exactly what you're going to do that day. Its even greater to actually do everything on your list. But on days like today, sometimes you just have to sit and let the sadness wash over you. Because its real life, and real death.

And its awful.

3 comments: